Republicans withdraw funding for Trump’s ballroom

//

Lerato Khumalo

The Trump administration has portrayed the fund as compensation for people it says were wrongfully prosecuted by President Joe Biden’s Justice Department and Democrats. However, the project has sparked widespread criticism. Some Republicans also speak out against it.

US envoy wants more American military in Greenland

The US special envoy to Greenland has spoken out in favor of a stronger US military presence on the Arctic island. “Greenland needs the USA,” US envoy Jeff Landry told the AFP news agency on Wednesday at the end of his first visit to the autonomous region, which is part of Denmark. “I think it’s time for the US to have more of a presence in Greenland again.”

Landry referred to US President Donald Trump’s efforts to “reoccupy certain bases in Greenland.” The US reportedly wants to open three new bases in southern Greenland.

Republicans withdraw funding for Trump’s ballroom

Donald Trump’s ballroom at the White House will probably not be made safe with taxpayer money. As American media report, Republican senators have withdrawn a draft that earmarked Secret Service funding for the project. Trump initially spoke of private financing of the ballroom. Then there were plans to finance the security measures with taxpayer money.

However, there was resistance to this among the Republicans. “We were told that the money for the ballroom was eliminated,” Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) told reporters after a Republican meeting.

US charges Cuba’s ex-president with murder

The United States has charged former Cuban President Raúl Castro with murder, increasing pressure on the communist government in Havana. This emerged from court documents on Wednesday. The 94-year-old Castro last appeared in public earlier this month. There is no evidence that he left the country
has left or could be extradited by the government. US President Donald Trump is seeking regime change in the Caribbean country. There was initially no statement from the Cuban government on the charges. The details of the charges are not yet known.

However, according to a representative of the US Department of Justice, the allegations probably go back to an incident in 1996. At that time, Cuban fighter jets shot down two planes belonging to the Miami-based exile organization Brothers to the Rescue. All four occupants were killed. Castro was defense minister at the time. The Cuban government had always defended the shoot-down as a legitimate response to the intrusion into its airspace. The International Civil Aviation Organization later concluded that the shoot-down occurred over international waters.