News blog about US politics
Trump fails to appeal against abuse ruling
Updated August 17, 2026 – 10:10 p.mReading time: 19 minutes
Trump failed in his objection to compensation payments. The new US Attorney General is causing a stir with a statement. All developments in the news blog.
Trump hints at contacts with North Korea’s ruler Kim
US President Donald Trump has hinted at new contacts with North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un. When asked why Kim had not responded to his recent requests for talks, Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Monday: “How do you know he hasn’t responded?” When pressed further about whether Kim had actually responded, Trump replied: “Yes, he has.”
When asked what stage talks with Kim were at, Trump added that it was “very positive.” However, the US President did not provide any further details.
Trump also reiterated his praise for Kim. He said his past meetings with North Korea’s rulers had reduced tensions with Pyongyang. “See, I’m actually making it a lot safer,” he said. Kim always treated him “with great respect.” “I understand him, he understands me,” Trump added. He had met Kim three times in his first term, but not since returning to the White House last year.
Poll: Trump’s approval falls to lows
Trump’s approval ratings have fallen to their lowest level in office. The Iran war and rising fuel prices are depressing the mood.
Trump threatens to “bomb the ground” into another state
US President Donald Trump has increased the pressure on Oman with a sharp threat. The Sultanate is currently said to be… Iran clarify how shipping will be handled in the future Strait of Hormuz should be regulated – so far without agreement. “If Oman gets in our way, we will bomb them into the ground”said Trump to the conservative channel Fox News. Oman is not yet an active party to the war.
Abuse ruling: Trump fails with objection to compensation payment
US President Donald Trump failed in the final instance with his objection to compensation for sexual abuse and defamation. The Supreme Court of the USA dismissed Trump’s appeal on Monday. The judgment on a payment of 5.6 million dollars (4.83 million euros) to the former journalist E. Jean Carroll is now legally binding.
According to Carroll’s lawyer, Trump had already transferred the sum in July. A federal judge in new York ordered the payout after the Supreme Court also dismissed Trump’s appeal against the May 2023 first-instance ruling.
Justice Minister Blanche cannot guarantee his independence from Trump
US Attorney General Todd Blanche does not want to promise that he will act independently of President Donald Trump in the future. When asked on NBC’s “Meet the Press” whether the Justice Department would act independently, he replied: “No, I won’t promise that.”