“It’s going to take quite a long time”
Trump irritates Iran’s statement about nuclear weapons
Updated August 18, 2026 – 4:31 amReading time: 4 minutes
The US President no longer believes in an agreement with Tehran. Doubts about Trump’s course are apparently growing in the government.
US President Donald Trump In his own words, he doesn’t expect that Iran one for them USA agrees to acceptable agreements. “They’re not going to make the kind of deal that I think is necessary,” Trump said Monday. “We’re here for one reason: Iran can’t have nuclear weapons,” Trump said during a question and answer session with reporters at the White House.
The US President continued: “And now they are building them (Editor’s note: the atomic bomb)after what we did with the B-52 bombers, that’s going to take quite a long time. But it is very simple: Iran is not allowed to have nuclear weapons.” How his statements should be understood initially remained unclear. He did not allow any further questions about it. In the previous months, Trump had often spoken about the fact that the military capacity to build such a weapon had actually already been destroyed.
On Israel’s side, the USA attacked Iran’s nuclear program in June 2025. Under the code name “Operation Midnight Hammer”, heavy US bombers flew attacks against Iranian positions with the aim of destroying the facilities for processing uranium suitable for nuclear weapons. The attack had been prepared over many months, particularly with the help of the Israeli secret service Mossad. Immediately after the attacks, Trump’s defense secretary Pete Hegseth claims that Iran’s ambitions to build a nuclear bomb have been “reduced to rubble.” “It was an incredible, overwhelming success,” Hegseth said at the Pentagon at the time.
Trump wanted to end “forever wars”.
Around six months later, the USA – again on Israel’s side – began the war against the Tehran regime, which continues to this day. And again for the reason that Iran should not get the bomb, as Trump and Hegseth announced at the time.
The contradictions are obvious. Doubts about the approach in the Middle East were said to have come from Trump’s inner circle even back then: as US media reported, Vice President JD Vance in particular was said to have disagreed with the military campaign. During the election campaign, Trump and Vance promised the Americans that they would end the “forever wars” of the previous Democratic governments once and for all.
On Monday, Trump posted on his “Truth Social” network that the ultimate goal was that Iran should “not be allowed to possess a nuclear weapon in any way, in any form or under any circumstances.” To do this, the Americans should take advantage of the war and the associated closure of the Strait of Hormuz increased gasoline prices, as was the case on Friday Truth Social had posted. The rising price of fuel is one of the biggest peeves of the US population and a major reason for the ever-growing dissatisfaction with the president – even among Trump’s supporters.