Before the Iran War, ships could pass through the strait free of charge. According to Tehran, this should not remain the case. In April, Iran said it had received its first tolls for driving on the Strait of Hormuz. According to reports, a few ships have been coming through the strait, which is important for the global economy, since then if they first pay a toll to Tehran.
Iran announces establishment of authority to control Strait of Hormuz
Iran has officially confirmed that it has established its own authority to control shipping in the Strait of Hormuz. The Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) has an official account through which it will provide “real-time updates on operations” in the strait, the National Security Council and the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Navy said on Monday. No details were given.
The trade journal “Lloyd’s List” reported at the beginning of May that the authority would be responsible for issuing transit permits and collecting tolls. Ships wishing to travel the Strait of Hormuz would have to keep “detailed records of ownership, insurance, crew and the planned transit route.” The Iranian television station Press TV had previously reported on the planned authority.
Merz condemns Iranian attacks on Emirates
Chancellor Friedrich Merz strongly condemns the recent Iranian air strikes on the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and other countries in the region. “Attacks on nuclear facilities are a threat to the security of people in the entire region,” writes Merz on X. “There must be no further escalation of violence.” According to authorities, a fire broke out in the area of a nuclear power plant in the Emirates at the weekend after a drone attack. Merz also calls on Iran to take steps to end the war and ease the situation in the Gulf region. “Iran must enter into serious negotiations with the US, stop threatening its neighbors and open the Strait of Hormuz without restrictions,” he writes.
Iran: Further negotiation proposals exchanged with USA
In the midst of deadlocked negotiations between Iran and the USA, Tehran says it has sent new proposals to Washington. Foreign Ministry spokesman Ismail Baghai told reporters that Iran conveyed its views on Sunday through the intermediary Pakistan. Nothing is known about the contents yet.
The US had previously sent answers to the previous Iranian proposal, Baghai said. US President Donald Trump publicly dismissed it as “stupid”.