Middle East war: Four dead in Houthis rocket attack on port city of Mocha

//

Lerato Khumalo

News blog about the war in the Middle East

Trump: Strait of Hormuz becomes US territory


Updated August 15, 2026 – 5:21 amReading time: 9 minutes

Donald Trump at the NATO summit: He is now talking about annexing the Strait of Hormuz to the USA. (archive image)Enlarge the image

Donald Trump at the NATO summit: He is now talking about annexing the Strait of Hormuz to the USA. (archive image) (Source: IMAGO/Marek Ladzinski/imago)

Trump wants to seize the Strait of Hormuz. Iran has not yet decided on further negotiations. All developments in the news blog.

Dead after Houthi attack in Yemen

In the event of a rocket attack by the… Iran Supported Houthi rebels attacked the Yemeni port city of Mucha on the Red Sea, at least four civilians were killed. This is shared by the internationally recognized government of Yemen with. The Yemeni news agency Saba also reports, citing military sources, that the Houthis hit Mucha with six rockets, killing four civilians and setting several fishing boats on fire. The Houthi rebels, for their part, say they used ballistic missiles to attack weapons and warships that were among those of Saudi Arabia supported troops belonged.

Iran: No decision on new negotiations

Notwithstanding the expiry of the 60-day ceasefire with the USA According to Iran, it has not yet decided whether to hold new negotiations Washington should be included. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said, according to the government-affiliated Isna news agency, that the USA had violated the declaration of intent made around two months ago and that fighting had resumed. This means that, contrary to what was agreed, there was no ceasefire that had to be extended.

Araghchi explained the mediators Pakistan and Qatar continue to be in contact with Iran. However, the previously existing channels are no longer there and a new channel would have to be set up.

Iran rejects Trump’s threats

According to Deputy Foreign Minister Kasem Gharibabadi, Iran will not be intimidated by threats or shows of force from the USA. The strategically important one Strait of Hormuz will only be blocked or released under Iran’s control, Gharibabadi said on the short message platform X. He is reacting to the US President Donald Trumpwho has announced that he will declare the strait to be US territory. It was initially unclear how serious Trump was about this announcement.

Trump wants to make the Strait of Hormuz a US territory

US President Donald Trump says he wants to declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory after the end of the Iran war. “Once we defeat Iran – which is currently suffering a crushing defeat – I will declare the Strait of Hormuz the territory of the United States,” he said in an appearance in New Jersey. Trump initially did not provide any further details.

Oil prices had skyrocketed as a result of the Iran war because Iran used threats to disrupt shipping traffic in the strait. The strait is one of the most important trade routes for oil and gas and is also a central point of contention between Washington and Tehran.

Four dead in Houthis rocket attack on port city

According to the internationally recognized government, four civilians were killed in a rocket attack by Houthi rebels on the Yemeni port city of Mocha on the Red Sea. The Islamist terrorist militia fired six ballistic missiles, it was said. The Houthis, however, said they had shelled military targets belonging to Saudi-backed troops.