News blog about the war in the Middle East
USA and Iran probably before extending ceasefire
Updated on May 24, 2026 – 2:01 p.mReading time: 9 minutes
An agreement with Iran is probably close to completion. Brussels is preparing new sanctions against Tehran. All developments in the news blog.
Iranian army shoots down Israeli drone
The Iranian army shot down an Israeli spy and surveillance drone in Hormozgan province. This is reported by the Iranian news agency Mehr. According to the agency, the debris of the Orbiter-type drone was discovered in cooperation with the Iranian Navy.
Palestinians: dead in Israeli airstrike on refugee camp
An Israeli airstrike on a refugee camp in the Gaza Strip kills three people, according to local health authorities. A six-month-old child and his parents were among the dead. The attack hit an apartment in the Nuseirat refugee camp in the center of the area, it is said. There is currently no statement from the Israeli military.
According to the Palestinian authorities, around 880 people have been killed in the Gaza Strip since a ceasefire brokered by US President Donald Trump came into force in October. The Israeli military reported four soldiers killed in the same period. The indirect negotiations to disarm Hamas are currently at a dead end.
USA and Iran probably before extending ceasefire
According to a media report, the USA and Iran are about to sign an agreement on a 60-day extension of a ceasefire. During this time, the Strait of Hormuz will be reopened and Iran will be allowed to sell oil again, reports the news portal “Axios”, citing a US government representative.
The shipping route has been closed to most shipping since US-Israeli attacks on Iran began in February. Recently there have been contradictory statements about the status of the talks: While US President Donald Trump stated that a peace agreement had largely been negotiated, the Iranian Fars news agency reported that this claim was “incompatible with reality”.
Iran wants to continue to manage the Strait of Hormuz
According to a report by the Iranian Fars News Agency, the Strait of Hormuz remains under the administration of Iran, contrary to what US President Donald Trump announced. An Iranian military spokesman also confirmed this.
Trump: Talks positive – Strait of Hormuz opens
The Strait of Hormuz will be reopened as part of a deal with Iran, US President Donald Trump said. This is, among many other points, an element of the Iran agreement. According to US President Donald Trump, an agreement with Iran has largely been negotiated. The final details of this agreement are still being discussed and will be announced shortly. Trump spoke on “Truth Social” of positive discussions with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and representatives of Arab countries.
The US, Iran and mediator Pakistan spoke of progress in diplomatic efforts. “Some progress has been made,” said US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on the sidelines of his visit to India. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Ismail Baghai spoke of a “convergence of positions” and Pakistan’s military even spoke of “encouraging progress” that had been made in the past 24 hours.